02 May 2008

What Motherhood Means

This is Lindsey and her "daughter" Xiomara.

Lindsey is not allowed to tell her own story anymore because Xio's orphanage has prohibited it. But I can tell you.

Around a year ago a little girl was born and abandoned in Guatemala. Last June, Lindsey and her husband made a trip to Guatemala to work in an orphanage. They met Xiomara on that trip, fell in love with her, and decided to pursue adoption.

Over the course of the next several months, the likelihood of adopting Xiomara became much slimmer. Apparently Xio is not even Guatemalan and her mother is from El Salvador. According to the court system, she may not even be adoptable, destined to spend her life with those who do not love her and do not want her.

And yet, every day Lindsey prays for this little girl. In the midst of another adoption, she still considers Xiomara. She still dreams of the possibility of bringing her home, too. She still asks God to protect her little life every day. She still grieves for the little girl who may never know a mom.

If that isn't motherhood, I don't know what is.
From a thousand miles away, Lindsey is her mom.
All of her days, she will hold this little girl in her heart.
Despite their joy over their new daughter, Xiomara will always be the firstborn of their hearts.

I admire you, Lindsey. I hope some day to be half the mom you already are.

Love,
Erin

4 comments:

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

What a story! brought tears to my eyes.....

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

Okay, Erin....you just made me cry!! Thank you for your sweet words....thank you for remembering and loving Xiomara with us. It means SO MUCH!!!!

Unknown said...

Oh wow...yes, that is indeed a Mother's love. I do not know what I would have done were I not able to adopt my sweetheart once I met her...May miracles happen for Chris, Lindsey and most especially Xiomara!

Alyson @ 3 Ps

Don't Miss the 3 Ps in a Pod
Super Summer Vacation Giveaway
May 6-13
http://www.threepsinapod.blogspot.com

Becca said...

How terrific for you to support your friend like this. And I didn't realize Xio's bmom is Salvadoran - Ella's is! Praying for Xio & Walfred... And you...

Peace and Hugs,
Becca