25 November 2011

A Season of Thanks: Day 25

Today I am thankful for - and missing - my huge extended in-law family.
I love when we all get together. The small cousins are typically running and playing, usually involving some game the adults are supposed to join. The older cousins join the adults in conversation. We laugh, we joke, we pick on one another, we talk about nothing and everything.
This group of people is loyal to the core!
I love that about them. When one of us is hurting, the whole group is right there to be a part of it - to support one another.
When someone is angry with a member of this family, I hope you're ready because this group is ready to fight to defend each other.
When the time came for Chris and I to tell them we wanted to move to Lexington, the room was met with tears - tears of joy for us and tears of sadness. This is a close-knit group, and it didn't seem right for one of the families not to be a part of it on a regular basis.
I miss them.
I always wondered what it would be like to have in-laws. Not just parent in-laws, but a whole family of them. The truth of the matter is, I love it! It's like having a big bunch of built-in friends that have no choice but to hang out with you. :)
I love the way they've taken me in as family. So easily. I'm just as comfortable talking to my new brothers in-law as I am Annie's husband, who I've known for 10 years or so. I can tease with them and not have to worry if they understood what I meant. I can be gut-wrenchingly honest with them if I so choose. They were eager to have me as a part of their family before Chris and I were ready.
These are people who are staunchly committed to one another, and I am honored that they chose to commit themselves to me.
Freddy, Cherry, Leigh Ann, Robert, Austin, Sarah, Michele, Robert (yes there are two), Keaton, Laura, John, Olivia, Jack, Doris, and Marvin, I love you! You are such a source of strength and calm for me. I miss you this weekend and often. We can't wait to see you all soon.
Love you!
Erin

No comments: