03 May 2010

National Bike Month


I'm going to see how many miles I can log on my bike this month. Care to join me? I've got a head start though -- yesterday I rode 11.5 miles.

Why Bike? Here are just two statistics:
A 150-pound cyclist burns 410 calories while pedaling 12 miles in an hour-almost the equivalent calories of a McDonald's Quarter Pounder®. A 200-pound cyclist burns 546 calories while going 12 miles per hour-almost the equivalent of a Big Mac®.

The Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health said, "Physical activity of the type that improves cardiovascular endurance reduces the risk of developing or dying from cardiovascular disease, hypertension, colon cancer, and type 2 diabetes and improves mental health. Findings are suggestive that endurance-type physical activity may reduce the risk of developing obesity, osteoporosis, and depression and may improve psychological well-being and quality of life."

So, GO!

1 comment:

Scott said...

Erin, Thanks for your post about National Bike Month. Maybe this will get me off my duff and get out there and ride! I did a little last year, but not enough. Elsie just got a tricycle maybe that will help too! Hope all is well with you!

Sctallen