06 November 2011

A Season of Thanks: Day 6


Today I am thankful for The Table.

Since moving to Lexington, the family and I have been visiting around at various churches, most of them Disciples of Christ. I love the Disciples. I've finally found a home within a denomination, and it feels good to be among like-minded people. One of the many things I love about the Disciples is their emphasis on The Table.

In the four weeks we've been here, we've visited 5 churches. (Leave it to the church nerds, I know!) In all but one (not a DOC church), I've had the opportunity to take communion. As Disciples, communion is a weekly event; every time the community gathers, the table is shared. But what has been significant to me is the opportunity to partake of communion in 4 different ways all within the same denomination. It has given me a new chance to consider the way I view the table.

And I'm learning some things.
I may share those things at a later date.
I may not.

But for today, I am immensely grateful that it isn't the church who spreads the table; it is Christ. The table is open to all because Christ is the host and Christ does not judge. At least that's what I believe, and that is what I've found at these churches. As I sat today and listened to the communion invitation, I understood again what it means that Christ has opened the table. Again, I found myself overwhelmed with gratitude. Again, I found myself renewed and restored. Again, I found myself compelled to do more, to live a richer life, to love the way Jesus loved - freely and without regard. Again, I had the opportunity to be a guest at the greatest feast ever served.

Today, I am simply grateful for that table.
For the countless ministers who served it today.
For the presence of Christ that stretches through time and space.
For the simplicity of a morsel of bread and a sip of juice.
For the pure love of Christ for me.
And for every single person who chooses to come.

No comments: