Because this year will be different.
This year I will count - just three gifts a day - to 1000.
The graces from last year's attempts were significant, but this is a fresh start.
And so I begin with 1.
- A new commitment
- Health restored
- Compassion for those who are hurting
- The brisk, cold air
- A warm fireplace
- Soft, warm, rolls on a plate
- "Never Ever Give Up" uttered by a dying 12 year-old
- "Can I help?" spoken by a stranger
- "I love you, daddy" whispered by a daughter
- Sheri's laughter
- Alexander's new life
- Warm, sunny skies in January
- Reading The Dance of the Dissident Daughter
- Warm, sweet oatmeal
- Returning to a desk of good work after a long vacation
- The phone that makes the distances seem shorter
- The crisp, cold juice of an apple
- Ella's extra kisses as she climbed out of the car
- Finley's face on Skype
- A call from my dad
- An incredible gift from Chris
- Light gleaming below a baptismal bowl
- Sunlight through stained glass
- My dog lying in the shadow of mini-blind slats, warm and peaceful
- Warm tea in my hands
- Ben's computer expertise
- Walking with purpose